Bootstrapping "Optimizing Squeak"

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Feb 26 15:59:46 UTC 1999

I have been reading the "Optimizing Squeak" thread with great interest,
though not always with great understanding :-)  Playing with different VM
architectures and alternative bytecodes sounds like enormous fun and a
really powerful student project.

How does one actually move to a new bytecode set?  What is the path by
which you say "Okay, recompile all the code in the system using my new
compiler in order to create a new image for my new VM"?  The Digitalk
people had to do this at least once, didn't they?  Or do new bytecode sets
typically retain some backward compatibility while bootstrapping?

Thanks!
 Mark

(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu