getting started

Eric Ryan lion at serv.net
Tue Feb 23 15:39:19 UTC 1999

I'd like to buy a PC and run squeak and a free unix on it, probably linux.
I know that I should get a 3 button mouse becuase I *don't* want to be
pressing the control button to do simple gui things.  I don't know what
kind of mouse to get, nor what sort of driver restrictions there are. I
also don't know what sort of processor speed and RAM quantity would be
appropriate for a Squeak developer.  Are there restrictions on the kind
of video card?  Is there usefully better performance running squeak on
standard intel hardware directly rather than having the squeak run on a
unix running on the intel hardware?
  Could someone please suggest a mouse and video card as well as minimal
processor and memory?
  Eric