There's memory bandwidth and there's memory transaction thruput

Ryan Davis ryand at ZenSpider.com
Sat Feb 13 21:19:42 UTC 1999

>The 604e and 750 PowerPC processors have performance monitor registers
>built in which can provide a wealth of stats on various things, including
>L1/L2 accesses/misses, TLB misses, load/store counts, etc.  There is a
>Mac utility called "4PM" which is an interface to these performance
>registers, and can be used to tally results while running an application
>(such as Squeak).
>
>4PM was sent out in one of the developer tools releases awhile back, but
>I can't currently find it on Apple's FTP site.
ftp://ftp.apple.com//developer/Tool_Chest/Testing_-_Debugging/Performance_tools/
Performance_Tools.sit.hqx

(from the readme) 4PM: a tool that uses special registers in the PowerPC
604 processor to gather performance statistics.

           Ryan Davis         -=-    Zen Spider Software
 -=- mailto:zss at ZenSpider.com -=- http://www.ZenSpider.com/ -=-
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said but,
I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.