getting started

Ted Creedon ted_creedon at mentorg.com
Wed Feb 24 20:09:20 UTC 1999

Your first problem is getting linux to run and that depends on which X you use,
MetroX or XFree86.

My best results are to use logitech 3 button mice and MOST IMPORTANTLY pick a
well supported board.

I've tried trident cards - beware - there are 3 mfgrs using the trident chip
set and the drivers don't work well at all (there are actually different
drivers for W98 & NT).

Use the Matrox Millenium II AGP dieplay card it you can. It works well and runs
under all X implementations.

64 meg of memory is sufficient, more is better

IDE drives are fine but adaptec 2940 ultra wide scsi is faster

use xcdroast to write CD's

use Samba to map your pc's into linux drives

the automounter works fine as does NFS

I use the red hat version of linux with xfree86 X11R6, I prefer linux to
Solaris, AIX, HPUX but the windows API for NT is hard to beat.

tedc