getting started

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Feb 23 19:33:30 UTC 1999

Eric Ryan <lion at serv.net> wrote:
> I'd like to buy a PC and run squeak and a free unix on it, probably
linux.
> I know that I should get a 3 button mouse becuase I *don't* want to be
> pressing the control button to do simple gui things.  I don't know
what
> kind of mouse to get, nor what sort of driver restrictions there are.
> also don't know what sort of processor speed and RAM quantity would be
> appropriate for a Squeak developer.  Are there restrictions on the
kind
> of video card?  Is there usefully better performance running squeak on
> standard intel hardware directly rather than having the squeak run on
> unix running on the intel hardware?
>   Could someone please suggest a mouse and video card as well as
minimal
> processor and memory?
>   Eric

Squeak will be fine with just about anything you can buy in the stores
today.  Here's a stab at some comfortable, inexpensive "minimums" -- you
can do with less, but these are really cheap and will definately be
safe:

	- Pentium 166
	- 32 MB of RAM
	- a video card that does 800x600 with 64k colors
	- a three button mouse

So why do people bother to sell all these expensive computers in the
store?  That would be games, games, and games.

Lex