[Classical Applications (was Re: 17 new updates)]

Mike Anderson daninja at netscape.net
Fri Feb 12 10:37:40 UTC 1999

Stefan Matthias Aust <sma at kiel.netsurf.de> wrote:

> >Another, entirely unrelated question is: How do I start writing a
> >"classical application". I.e. something with a polished, shiny user
> >interface, where the user isn't aware that he's doing Smalltalk (other
> >than, of course, in an About box where Squeak is listed among the
> >credits)?

[ snipped list of requirements ]

I also would like to be able to produce more "mainstream" style apps with
Squeak.  There's only one enhancement that I feel I need to do this, and that
is the ability to open multiple host windows from the same Squeak program.
Just top windows (like the singleton one currently used by Squeak), I can do
the rest (menu bar, tool bar, subwindows/widgets, whatever).

Of course, since all the Squeak source is available, I could modify the system
to do multiple host windows myself (in theory).  I wonder if this is very to
desirable to others, or if anyone has scoped it out, or if this is likely to
be implemented by central.

....Mike