Balloon 3D performance

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Tue Feb 16 18:59:51 UTC 1999

> At 06:37 PM 2/15/99 -0800, Raab, Andreas wrote:
> >ObSqueak: I just got about 20,000 triangles per second on a P166 with
> >Balloon 3D ;^)
>
> Can you say more about the test conditions. Are these texture mapped,
> z-buffered, perspective correct, 3D triangles?

No, yes, no ;-) The entire test was just to see if the primitive level code
is working as expected. No performance measures intended.

> To define a bit of 3-D performance perspective, the low cost ($150) 3D
> accelerator (NVidia Rage 128) in the PC I'm on is rated at about 5
> million,
> texture mapped, z-buffered, perspective correct, 3D triangles per second.

These are *theoretical* throughputs. You'll never get them in practice.
Usually, it's quite a good idea to divide these numbers by ten and take this
value for average applications (but 500k is still a lot more than 20k).

> I'm not sure the processor (Pentium II-266) can come up with 15 million
> vertex values/sec though, so actual milage may vary.

BTW, there ain't no need for the processor to transfer 15 million vertices,
12 bytes each. Given indexed triangle meshes you may have something between
3-5 million vertices plus 15M 32bit words.

  Andreas
--
PLEASE NOTE NEW EMAIL ADRESS!

+===== Andreas Raab ========= (andreasr at wdi.disney.com) ==+
| Walt Disney Imagineering        Phone: +1 818 544 5016  I
I Glendale, CA                    Fax:   +1 818 544 4544  I
+======< http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~raab >========+