Newbie Question: Where did the name Squeak come from?

Travis Griggs tgriggs at keyww.com
Fri Feb 19 23:18:52 UTC 1999

Not to SQUash Everyones Acronym Kreativity concerning the origin of the
name Squeak, but I'm betting it has nothing to do with any acronym. It
seems to me that an audible "squeak" is even less audible than the quite
murmurs sometimes called "small talk". I also remember the just of
Alan's '97 OOPSLA KeyNote, part of which was the notion that the bad
thing about Smalltalk was that it went "commercial" to early and quit
evolving. Therefore, I'm willing to start a rumor that the name was
chosen on the same philosophical basis that "Smalltalk" was (see Green
book), and intended to cause even less marketing vapor than Smalltalk
did. :)

--
Travis Griggs (a.k.a. Lord of the Fries)
Key Technology
tgriggs at keyww.com
Member, Fraven Skreiggs Software Collective
 - C for Sinking
 - Java for Drinking
 - Smalltalk for Thinking
 ...and Power to the Penguin!