2.3 for Unix

Douglas Brebner douglas+list at fang.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 3 17:36:47 UTC 1999

Hello Georg

On 03-Feb-99, Georg Gollmann wrote:
>  At 18:38 Uhr +0000 02.02.1999, Douglas Brebner wrote:

> >>  Can anyone confirm that Ballon works on these platforms ?
> >>  I got 2.3 running on HP-UX now, but Ballon doesn't work.
> >>  In fact the primitives for Ballon are failing.
> >>  I really don't understand why because the failing primitive is
> >>  defined in my interpreter C-file. It is the primitive
> >>  primInitializeBuffer.
> >
> > I had the same problem. My platform (NetBSD/i386 1.3.3) stored the VM
> > symbols with an underscore e.g.  _primInitializeBuffer
> >
> > You need to change ioLoadExternalFunctionOfLengthFromModuleOfLength()
> > to add the underscore to the symbol name before dysym() if this is the
> > problem.
>
>  In my case (HP/UX) the symbol not found is 'gePrimitiveInitializeBuffer'
>  although 'nm' lists it as external...

Does nm show 'gePrimitiveInitializeBuffer' or
            '_gePrimitiveInitializeBuffer' ?

The leading underscore *is* significant. Squeak looks for the former.
If your VM contains the latter then dlsym() will fail. *All* of my
external primitives failed because of this. :(

They work fine now though.

--
Regards
Douglas