C-based OO extensions / Objective-C

Marcel Weiher marcel at system.de
Sat Feb 13 12:50:02 UTC 1999

[Tim:  a plague on C++, Java, etc. ]

Tim,

although I generally agree with your sentiments, I'd like to make a
little exception:  Objective-C really works well, probably because
the OO-extended part is as close to Smalltalk as you can get (fully
dynamic dispatch, introspection, forwarding/proxies, dynamic class
it really shines at is the thing that most Smalltalks, including
Squeak, are quite weak:  integration.

It is also fast:  5 million fully dynamic message sends per second
on a 233MHz G3, Squeak does 700K message sends and 14 million
bytecodes/s on the same machine.

My Squeak plans include using Objective-C inspired ideas for closing
the semantic gap between Smalltalk and its environment, for both
better speed and interoparability.

Marcel