Scrollbar preference idea

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Mon Feb 22 08:15:06 UTC 1999

On Sun, 21 Feb 1999, Joachim Durchholz wrote:

> Doug Way wrote:
> >
> > I don't think I explained myself very well... I wasn't referring to a
> > horizontal position hint for the cursor (which I agree wouldn't be all
> > that useful).  I really meant an indicator in the scrollbar for the
> > location of the current *selection*.  (1. selected item in a list, 2.
> > selected text, or 3. cursor point)
>
> Ah, now I understand. Sounds useful. I didn't think of that because it
> is less of a problem in native Windows: The selection is displayed even
> if the window doesn't have input focus (the programmer decides whether
> and - to some degree - how the selection is displayed in that case).

The point is to know where the selection/cursor is even if it's scrolled
out of view. I _have_ seen this somewhere, I just cannot remember the
place. Probably one of those X editors that nobody really uses 'cause
nothing beats Emacs :)

/bert

--
 Bert Freudenberg                                            Department of
                                                            Simulation and