Usability of Squeak on PDA's

ohshima at is.titech.ac.jp ohshima at is.titech.ac.jp
Mon Feb 1 10:27:12 UTC 1999

  Hello, Rik-san.

> How about Braille? 8-)

  Let me consider this seriously:-) 2x3 pixels... or 7x5
with internal spaces for one character?  It could be a
candidate for PDAs.  One problem is that the interpretation
of the dots varies country to the country.  And other is
that a number have to have a "prefix" character which
denotes "the following is a number".  So one to one mapping
from ASCII to Braille doesn't work.

  Defining new representation which has more than 2x3 dots
won't work because the size could be bigger than usual
fonts!

> I hope you don't plan to do kanji in 5 or 7 pixels? 8-(
> (It is hard enouyh for me to read kanji even when the font is very good)

  The smallest kanji font on Zaurus is 8x8.  It is readable
at least.  If anti-aliases fonts are available, I think 7
pixel kanji font could be usable.

  Squeak as a multilingual is another story.  Allcating
another tag bit for the instances of Character, and
reconstructing whole system may be required.

                                             OHSHIMA Yoshiki
                Dept. of Mathematical and Computing Sciences
                               Tokyo Institute of Technology