Color buried treasure

Andres Valloud sqrmax at cvtci.com.ar
Fri Feb 26 04:47:56 UTC 1999

Hi.

"Raab, Andreas" wrote:

> It is already - #bitShift: has it's own byte code ;-)

All right!!!

> > And here's the fileout for the changed method in Color. I noticed they
> > were slow checking them while trying to speed up Heckbert's quantization.
> Great!

I built an RGBSpacePartition with RGBSpaceBox es inside, very interesting. It's
also noteworthy that Heckbert's paper doesn't mention the possibility that
several colors are coplanar!!! Tricky, tricky...

> > Right now it quantizates a 512x384x32 bit image with 630 colors down to
> > 256 colors including building the representatives in 2.469s (200mmx).

Not anymore. Now in 2.1s tops.

> > I still have to build the renderer to change all colors in the source to
> > those quantizated by Heckbert's algorithm.
> This should be pretty trivial - BitBlt uses a color map that can be set
> accordingly from your source depth to the right 256 colors.

How does this work? Does it support dithering on the way?

Andres.