Scrollbar preference idea

Doug Way dway at mat.net
Fri Feb 12 18:19:49 UTC 1999

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, R. A. Harmon wrote:

> At 12:05 PM 2/11/99 -0500, Doug Way wrote:
> [snip]
> >I've actually just been working on enhancing/fixing the Morphic scrollbar
> >so that it displays the correctly proportioned scrollbar, indicating how
> >much of the pane is filled (just like the MVC scrollbar does, basically).
> >I tweaked PluggableListMorph and PluggableTextMorph so that all
> >browsers/tools/etc in Morphic take advantage of it.  It seems to work
> >pretty well now, I just want to test it some more before posting the
> >fix... probably in the next couple of days.  (Any comments/objections?)
> [snip]
>
> I've noticed when viewing really big files with the file list, the scrollbar
> is infinitely small--too small to grab.  Maybe the scrollbar needs a minimum
> size.

Yeah, I'm already including a minimum scrollbar thickness of 5 pixels as
part of my Morphic ScrollBar changes, since I noticed the same problem.  5
seems to be thick enough to grab easily, but thin enough to show that
you're looking at a tiny fraction of the entire list/text.

(Actually, I'm not sure if you were referring to the MVC or the Morphic
scrollbar... I guess the dissappearing problem can happen with both.  It's
not as big a deal with the MVC scrollbar, though, since you don't need to
"grab" it in order to position it.  Still, it might not be a bad idea to
have a tiny minimum thickness for the MVC scrollbar as well, so you can
at least see where it is.)

- Doug Way
  EAI/Transom Technologies, Ann Arbor, MI
  http://www.transom.com