Hardware or System Incompatibility

Dan Ingalls DanI at wdi.disney.com
Wed Feb 17 04:02:38 UTC 1999

Folks -

Two erratic results have been posted recently that I would like to clear up.  It appears that they are due to hardware or system library problems, not to Squeak itself.

A.  First of all Peter William Lount repoorted a crash while filing in update "646B3DBase-ar".  From his stack trace, I was able to track this down as follows:

	Compiling B3DRotation>>normalize
	Reading the literal 1.0e-10
	Executing '10000000000 asFloat'
	Calling a C library routine, ldexp(rcvr, arg)

So here's what I would like from everyone who's interested and willing...

	1.  Batten down your hatches (prepare for possible crash)
	2.  Start up a normal 2.3 image
	3.  Execute '10000000000 asFloat'
	4.  If it crashes (and *ONLY* if it crashes), then,
		1.  please reply to this message *TO ME ONLY*, with
			exact info about your OS version.  In particular,
			if it's Win 95, is OSR2 installed?  Also, if it's a
			Pentium, is it a PII or P-Pro?
		2.  if it's easy to try it out with a pre-2.3 VM,
			please do so and report if it still crashes.
		3.  you may want to put comments around
			<primitive: 54> in Float>>timesTwoPower:.
			If should prevent the crash on your machine,
			so you may want to preserve that change.

B.  Secondly, Andres reports that
		0.0 raisedTo: 0.75 ==> -0.0 on his machine,
	whereas I get 0.0 on my Mac.

	If you get -0.0, please also supply the information requested above.

Again, PLEASE DON'T RESPOND IF YOU DO NOT OBSERVE THESE PROBLEMS,
AND PLEASE REPLY ONLY TO ME IF YOU DO.

I will summarize your responses for all.

Many thanks

	- Dan