Heckbert's algorithm

Andres Valloud sqrmax at cvtci.com.ar
Thu Feb 25 00:43:41 UTC 1999

Hi.

Playing with GIFReadWriter I noticed that the bitdepth allowed for forms is 8.
This is not correct... the GIF format would allow a ColorForm of 256 true color
colors, and #asFormOfDepth: 8 does not provide satisfactory results. So, I'm
planning to implement Heckbert's color quantization algorithm, as a replacement
for colorReduced. Is anyone already doing it? I wouldn't like this to be done
twice as it looks like a big thing to do to me... in fact I haven't found a neat
design for the whole thing yet.

Andres.