Need help building 2.3 VM.

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at gate.net
Sat Feb 20 14:07:38 UTC 1999

>> 	Attempting to enter Play With Me 3 (16 bits) hangs the VM and ALT .
>> cannot interrupt.
>
> This happened to me trying to compile the VM for HP-UX.  The problem was
> that the pluggable primitives were not working.  A flag was needed for
> the linker to specify that all symbols should be exported to shared
> libraries (in my case, -Wl,-E  -- thanks to Georg Gollmann and Bruce
> O'Neel).
>
> Saludos, Juan.

Is it that they weren't working, or that the pointers weren't set up
right?  When I built Squeak under MacOS using a different development
system (MPW), all I needed to do to overcome this problem was to
adjust the object file library names.

On MacOS, the Squeak executable uses some named primitives which are
located in the file itself, but with the shared library name
"SqueakVMPrims."  My development system set up for the shared
library, but named it by default with the project name: "squeak."  A
change in the compile line solved the problem.