Type inference (was: Classical Applications)

Leandro Caniglia caniglia at dm.uba.ar
Tue Feb 23 22:37:23 UTC 1999

Markus Denker wrote:
>>http://www.sunlabs.com/techrep/1996/abstract-52.html
>>
>>       Concrete Type Inference: Delivering Object-Oriented Applications
>>       Ole Agesen
>>       TR-96-52 (January 1996)
>>
>>| Abstract
>>| We have designed, implemented, and evaluated an algorithm, .... , that
>>| can infer concrete types of object oriented programs. ...
>>| Our implementation handles most of the dynamically-typed Self
>>| language,...
>> I want something like this in Squeak!

And Joachim Durchhols responded:
>This relies heavily on static typing.

I've read the (really interesting) dissertation by Ole Agesen and don't
think so. The work has nothing to do with static typing. In the context of
Agesen's research, type inference refers to the analysis of normal Self (or
Smalltalk) programs; i.e., without the aid of any kind of type declaration.
In fact we are trying to do "something like this in Squeak", and have
written some code implementing the ideas of the author (namely his cartesian
product algorithm).

Leandro