Words Of Code (was Re: Squeak in IEEE Software)

Jerome Garcia Jerome.Garcia at wj.com
Thu Feb 4 20:56:01 UTC 1999

On  2/4/99 Doug Way wrote:

Probably the closest you can come to measuring re-use is to measure the
amount of functionality in an app versus the amount of source code.
    < stuff deleted >

Code Reuse = # of Function Points / Words of Code

How's that for quantifying code reuse? :-)  I'm interested in other
opinions on this...

     I like it and have seen this approach taken in the past applied to
     relatively static code written in less dynamic languages in which
     functionality is developed relatively slowly.

     However, it appears to me that Squeak is already a very dynamic
     development environment and will become more so in the near future.
     Development of functionality can proceed very rapidly and duplication
     should be detected on the fly if possible. Ideally, not only should it
     be detected on the fly but the environment and programmer should
     interact to ensure that the "best" version of the duplicated
     functionality can be folded into the system easily forming an
     efficient feedback loop with Squeak Central when the new version is
     "best". I am not yet familiar enough with Squeak to suggest whether or
     how such detection can be accomplished efficiently but it seems that
     much of the functionality for efficient feedback already exists.

     Jerome