Scrollbar preference idea

Doug Way dway at mat.net
Thu Feb 11 17:05:54 UTC 1999

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Carl Gundel wrote:

> Where do I find the code that presents (pops up) scrollbars?  It would
> be great for slower machines to only activate the scrollbars when the
> content of a pane is scrollable.  This could also be added as a user
> preference.
>
> This seems like a fun and worthwhile project.

It's in different places for MVC versus Morphic... For Morphic, it's in
the class ScrollPane, method mouseEnter:, and maybe others.  I'm not as
sure about MVC, but I think you want to look at the class
ScrollController.

For MVC, I guess you'd just check to see if the scrollbar would fill the
scroll area, and then not display it?  Sounds cool.

I've actually just been working on enhancing/fixing the Morphic scrollbar
so that it displays the correctly proportioned scrollbar, indicating how
much of the pane is filled (just like the MVC scrollbar does, basically).
I tweaked PluggableListMorph and PluggableTextMorph so that all
browsers/tools/etc in Morphic take advantage of it.  It seems to work
pretty well now, I just want to test it some more before posting the
fix... probably in the next couple of days.  (Any comments/objections?)

Probably your enhancement would be easier to add to Morphic after my
enhancement is added (there's an "interval" you could easily check).
Also, it would be extra-handy for the inboard scrollbars, since they
wouldn't hog as much space.

- Doug Way
  EAI/Transom Technologies, Ann Arbor, MI
  http://www.transom.com