Windows MIDI utilizes software MIDI, not Mac

agree at carltonfields.com agree at carltonfields.com
Tue Feb 2 17:23:54 UTC 1999

Tim is, of course, quite correct.

On the other hand, such coverage is very substantial and should not be
ignored.  A rigid view of platform independence would preclude the use of any
non-squeak-software-generated sound mechanism, including the MIDI external
interface via serial means.   I'm simply suggesting that we should not be so
squeak-centric as to exclude software sources producing outstanding sound,
such as Quicktime when the interface shouldn't be that hard to make.  One we
allow non-squeak components such as external hardware, why not also provide an
interface to leading software components as well?  (I know one answer to this,
and I'm working on that problem right now.)

Anyway, at the end of the day, if people want it, they will build it.  If they
don't, they won't.