WeakAssociation

Gerardo Richarte gera at core-sdi.com
Fri Jan 15 20:00:12 UTC 1999

Hi!

    I'm working with Weak things, and I'm trying to use a
WeakValueDictionary as bindings for a WrapperWorldMorph, I have a
problem that I would think it's not easily solvable, but DanI will not
let me think so... here is the problem (I'm extrapolating everything I
don't know):

    When the interpreter needs a binding for some name, it asks
#bindingsOf: and it expects an association as answer, as I'm using a
WeakValueDictionary as bindings, the association it answers is a
WeakValueAssociation which has a WeakArray of size 1 as value, with the
real value as it single element.
    #value method is redefined correctly to answer 'value at: 1', so
WeakValueAssociations can be interchanged with standard Associations
always, except when they aren't accessed from Squeak, as from the
compiled interpreter. (I said so, because if I step through code
everything works fine)...

    Ok... is there a solution for this?
    Should be there a solution for this?
    shouldn't all bindings be WeakValueDictionaries instead of
Dictionaries?
    shouldn't Symbol's symbols tables be also WeakArrays, and rehashing
made automatically?
    did you notice that I'm using a spell checker?    (-:
    does anybody have a grammar checker?    )-:

    UnWeak (strong?) Bye!
    Richie++