Squeak and CORBA (again)

Hrefna "Gu•mundsdÛttir" hrefnag at mmedia.is
Thu Jan 14 14:13:07 UTC 1999

On Wednesday, January 13, 1999 4:36 PM, Marc Nijdam
[SMTP:men at jaguar.fc.hp.com] wrote:
> Hrefna "Gu\pmundsd\sttir" <hrefnag at mmedia.is> writes:
>
> > I've been away for a while so I don't know if something has begun in
> > the area of making CORBA available to Squeak. I will spend some time
> > on this issue and it would be great if someone else would like to
> > lend a hand. I'm fairly new to Squeak and Smalltalk but I know a bit
> > about CORBA.  Any takers?
>
> Absolutely!! I'm hoping that the socket issues in Squeak will be
> resolved though so that reliable TCP becomes possible...
>
> Marc

Ah, you must be thinking about a pure Squeak implementation of the orb,
services, etc., right?
What I had in mind was to make a Smalltalk (Squeak) binding for some
external orb that is available (i.e.. Mico) to get things going as soon as
possible and that would not, of course, depend on the TCP/IP stack in
Squeak. An integrated orb for Squeak would be great and I think that's the
way to go in the long run. But I need to get this going within the next few
months so I thought it would be a better way to use something that was
available (as Mico is). You have to make an IDL compiler for Squeak anyway
so maybe we could design it in a way that makes it extensible or easily
modifiable to support different orb's. In the case of Mico there has to
made some wrapper for it's library to make it available to Squeak. Maybe an
other possible way is to make an abstract orb interface in Squeak that
would use any orb that is available, whether Mico, Squeak orb or something
else?
In any case, you have to make an IDL compiler.

The thing for me is that I haven't any experience in making compilers so I
would have to learn as I go. One other thing that I don't know a thing
about is how to access an external C++ library from Squeak.

Jens P