Working with InterpreterSimulator

Tim Rowledge rowledge at interval.com
Wed Jan 6 17:03:05 UTC 1999

>     Has anyone recently worked with the the InterpreterSimulator?
Yup, I have recently been using it a lot to design and test the
NewCompiledMethod format images. I have previously used it with 'vanilla'
images as well, with no problems except endianness. If you are running on a
little endian  machine (ie pretty well anything you are likely to have
around except a Mac), then you need to fetch
http://sumeru.stanford.EDU/tim/pooters/SqFiles/deltas/VMsimulator.6Nov.cs
which adds a subclass of InterpreterSimulator that fixes the problems. (At
least, for me and several others doing similar things)

If you have the patience, any image can be simulated - but remember that
big images will take a while to load and startup, and you will neeed to
specify lots of memory on the command line.

Don't even think of trying to work through C until you have exhasusted all
the simluator possibilities.

tim

--
Useful random insult:- Cackles a lot, but I ain't seen no eggs yet.
Tim Rowledge:  rowledge at interval.com (w)  +1 (650) 842-6110 (w)