Squeak on a 16Bit PDA?

Dwight Hughes dwighth at ipa.net
Fri Jan 15 03:58:54 UTC 1999

Hmmm, your hardware may be a bit sparse, but you won't be taking up a
lot of cycles servicing the display either. If your processor was a 32
bit design you'd be golden - the Squeak object memory/gc design takes
good advantage of its 32 bit design and will be the hardest part to
change. On the plus side, very little in the Squeak image really cares
what is under it.

Is the memory addressing flat or segmented? Is the processor 32 bit
internally with a 16 bit external bus or 16 bit throughout?

Along with the PocketSmalltalk info, you might be interested in the
Implementation section of "Smalltalk 80: The Language and Its
Implementation" -- which I will be posting to my site this weekend (yes
really -- though probably without most of the figures to begin with; I
want to let people check it over for a bit as I'm finishing up before I
"officially" announce it; this was all supposed to be finished several
weeks ago, but anyway). This details the 16 bit implementation Squeak
was derived from (and was based on in its previous incarnation).

-- Dwight