Dangling SystemWindow's in 2.3Beta

SWallace scottw at wdi.disney.com
Sat Jan 2 06:02:36 UTC 1999

David,

The five windows that are eluding you are all related to the default "standard parts bin".  Squeak maintains a prototype of the parts bin in memory so that one can be quickly produced upon request via "veryDeepCopy" of this prototype.

If you need to get rid of those SystemWindow instances for some reason, you can do so by evaluating:

   ScriptingSystem resetStandardPartsBin

This will nil out the only reference to the parts-bin-prototype, so that after the next garbage collect you should find the SystemWindow objects gone.  Of course, as soon as anyone subsequently requests a new parts bin, a fresh prototype will be created.

(For those that may not have noticed, if you bring up a parts bin [via the "authoring tools" menu in a morphic project] and look through its pages, you'll come upon a page that offers a browser, a workspace, a file-browser, etc.  If it suits your style to keep a parts bin up, you may find this to be a convenient way to launch such tools.)

  -- Scott