Morphic, dataflow and encapsulation

Marcel Weiher marcel at system.de
Sat Jan 23 18:19:11 UTC 1999

> I would like to learn more about the ideas behind the dataflow
model and
> encapsulation that I understand Morphic is aiming at. I read in
the Squeak
> outline that this model is based on the Fabric wiring metaphor but
haven't
> found anything about it sofar. Does anyone have any pointers to online
> docs?

Funky.  I was just browsing through some OOPSLA papers on Fabrik and
ThingLab and though that this is what Morphic must be like.  Where
exactly did you find the "Squeak outline" that described the
relationship between Morphic and Fabrik?

"Fabrik: A Visual Programming Environment", Dan Ingalls, Scott
Wallac, Yu-Ying Chow, Frank Ludolph, Ken Doyle.  In OOPSLA 88
Proceedings.

> This is what we should be doing: wiring components together to create
> larger systems instead of writing textual glue.

Yes, wiring up components is very promising.  However, wether the
wiring is done textually or visually should not matter (each has its
uses).

Marcel