Squeak and CORBA (again)

Marc Nijdam men at jaguar.fc.hp.com
Thu Jan 14 16:25:34 UTC 1999

"Hrefna Gu\pmundsd\sttir" <hrefnag at mmedia.is> writes:

> On Wednesday, January 13, 1999 4:36 PM, Marc Nijdam
> [SMTP:men at jaguar.fc.hp.com] wrote:
> > Hrefna "Gu\pmundsd\sttir" <hrefnag at mmedia.is> writes:
> >
> > > I've been away for a while so I don't know if something has begun in
> > > the area of making CORBA available to Squeak. I will spend some time
> > > on this issue and it would be great if someone else would like to
> > > lend a hand. I'm fairly new to Squeak and Smalltalk but I know a bit
> > > about CORBA.  Any takers?
> >
> > Absolutely!! I'm hoping that the socket issues in Squeak will be
> > resolved though so that reliable TCP becomes possible...
> >
> > Marc
> >

> Ah, you must be thinking about a pure Squeak implementation of the
> orb, services, etc., right?  What I had in mind was to make a
> Smalltalk (Squeak) binding for some external orb that is available
> (i.e.. Mico) to get things going as soon as possible and that would
> not, of course, depend on the TCP/IP stack in Squeak. An integrated
> orb for Squeak would be great and I think that's the way to go in
> the long run. But I need to get this going within the next few
> months so I thought it would be a better way to use something that
> was available (as Mico is). You have to make an IDL compiler for
> Squeak anyway so maybe we could design it in a way that makes it
> extensible or easily modifiable to support different orb's. In the
> case of Mico there has to made some wrapper for it's library to make
> it available to Squeak. Maybe an other possible way is to make an
> abstract orb interface in Squeak that would use any orb that is
> available, whether Mico, Squeak orb or something else?  In any case,
> you have to make an IDL compiler.
>
> The thing for me is that I haven't any experience in making
> compilers so I would have to learn as I go. One other thing that I
> don't know a thing about is how to access an external C++ library
> from Squeak.

Don't know about linking C++ to squeak,  but it shouldn't be rocket
science. Anyone on the list done this?

Also, ILU supports a multitude of languages, C++, Python, Guile (and I
think C), has an idl compiler to generate stubs for those languages
and is CORBA 2.0 compliant (with extensions). The python pieces would
be a great starting point for a squeak implementation.

Marc