2.3, Unix, and Squeak central

Bruce O'Neel bruce_oneel at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 28 11:00:20 UTC 1999

Hi,
  Ian has already responded, but, I think I got a working 2.3 on
Solaris by generating interp.c from a 2.3beta vm and the 2.3 image,
changing all ^M to ^J via xemacs, and then copying that to
gnu-interp.c and running make.  It does properly execute

(FlashMorphReader on: (HTTPSocket httpGet:
'http://www.audi.co.uk/flash/intro1.swf'
accept:'application/x-shockwave-flash')	processFile.

from the readme.  In this case "properly executing" is defined as
playing an advert for Audi :-)

cheers

bruce

Lex Spoon <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:

> Bill Cattey <wdc at MIT.EDU> wrote:
> > I've got the 2.3 image and changes file, and I'm running them on my
> > Solaris and Linux systems in the 2.3beta image I got from inria.
I've
> > noticed that sometimes morphic projects get VERRRRRY slow, and the
> Play
> > With Me 3 (16 bits) demo project, when entered hangs the VM and
ALT<.>
> > can't interrupt.
> >
> > I figure these may be due to little improvements in 2.3VM that
aren't
> in
> > the Beta VM.  Alas, the 2.3VM has not yet been made available for
the
> > Unix platforms.  Is this expected to happen soon, or should I
attempt
> > reproduce the work of Carl Gruden?
> >

> I haven't gotten Play With Me 3 to work, either.  However, I haven't
> seen the slowdowns you mention.
>
> One person posted they  got a 2.3 VM compiled by:
>
> 	a) generating interp.c from Squeak as normal (comment in
> CCodeGenerator)
> 	b) skipping the translation for GCC that the Unix Makefile normally
> does.  For instance, change "../util/translator" to "/bin/cat" in the
> makefile.
>

> I tried this, and it worked fine....  The only problem is that the VM
> doesn't contain the truetype code anywhere.  Is this in the image
> somewhere that it can be filed out, or is it platform-specific code
that
> someone the likes of Ian Piumatra will have to write?
>

> Lex

==
Bruce O'Neel - beoneel at acm.org http://homepage.iprolink.ch/~bioneel
The corporate culture is concerned less with Occam's razor than his
aftershave lotion. -- R. L. Peskin <peskin at caip.rutgers.edu>