Squeak on Linux for SPARC processors

Peter William Lount paradigm at unixg.ubc.ca
Mon Jan 11 15:44:59 UTC 1999

Hi,

Has anyone build a Squeak binary for Red Hat Linux (5.2) for SPARC? I just
installed linux on my SPARC on Saturday and would like to use squeak
(instead of perl) as part of a web site.

Where do I obtain the latest linux squeak vm sources and do you think that
I'll need to change anything for it to work on the SPARC or should it just
compile and run? Are there build instructions with it or do you just type
"make" in the squeak c sources directory?

Would the sound drivers be any different, or does linux mask the sound
hardware with a driver and take of that? (If it works on one linux it'll
work on the others?)

Has anyone talked with the RedHat people about adding Squeak into their
standard distrubution? It would be good to have it on their next
distribution cd.

Peter