New | BasicNew What is the Difference?

Stephan B. Wessels stephan.wessels at sdrc.com
Mon Jan 11 12:51:29 UTC 1999

Ralph E. Johnson wrote:

> Yes, but Form class>>extent:depth: could call
>    super new
> instead of calling basicNew.  I prefer to use basicNew only if the
> class does not inherit the primitive version of new.
>
> -Ralph

  I think that's right but I didn't look any further up the food chain.  I wonder
if it's possible that a super new in the food chain could still end up getting us
into trouble however.  I'd want to look it over again before I say more.

Of course the author of the method would be the best person to ask why it was done
this way.  I came up with a reasonable story for why #new would not work in that
scenario.

  - Steve