my thoughts on a clean build

Dwight Hughes dwighth at ipa.net
Mon Jan 25 17:19:42 UTC 1999

Dan Ingalls wrote:

> I have never considered this approach (building from the sources) to be very important, and I have always found it easier to use the system itself, rather than some bootstrapping scheme, to clean things up.  I am curious why anyone would want to do this.

Well, I would _not_ want to go the bootstrapping route, but it would be
interesting (and probably useful) to build external images directly from
source using tools in a running Squeak image -- for the reasons I gave
in the recent "Creation of Image." thread.

> The only answer I can see is that there is some mystery about what exactly is in the image (other than what is manifest from the sources) and how one can find it all.  If this is the case, perhaps we need a Squeak Archaeology Toolkit on a web page somewhere, that makes known all the wonderful things that one can do in Squeak to track down any and all extraneous objects in an image.  If there is general interest, I would be happy to take a first crack at this.
>
>         - Dan

I would love to create a "Squeak Archaeology Toolkit" page on my site if
you are so inclined to get the ball rolling.

-- Dwight