Squeak unstable on Linux ?

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Tue Jan 5 16:42:48 UTC 1999

At 5:04 AM -0500 1/5/99, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

[snip]

>The 100%-CPU-GUI-lockup-problem (with alt-. not responding) occurs every
>other week or so in my Swiki. No Morphic, no PPP, no Sound, just plain
>Squeak 2.2 / 2.3b. The interesting thing is, nobody outside notices it
>because the *server is still serving*.
>
>IMHO it's a network/socket/*ConnectionQueue* problem that occurs at some
>rare conditions. I think it could be solved with accepting sockets -
>*please* put it into 2.3 (even if the Mac would implement it using the
>ConnectionQueue stuff :-)

I suspect that this is the ListenLoop bug that was thrashed out in Nov on
the PWS list. A fix is available, though I don't know if it got into 2.3
yet (John Maloney would know...John?)

The problem (I fuzzily recall) was that ListenLoop was trying to reuse a
Socket that plain didn't exist so you ended up in a tight high priority
loop.

The final solution was to kill the Socket object.

I'm not clear if this is in fact your problem, but it may be connected, so
to speak. Check your version of ConnectionQueue>>ListenLoop. It should be
of 11/10/98.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia