Evaluating HTML-Smalltalk Code in Scamper (with attached zip)

David Farber dfarber at numenor.com
Sat Jan 23 08:40:32 UTC 1999

Randal,

i had the same reaction when i first read this, but after mulling it over a
bit i think he did the right thing. a <code></code> block only denotes that
the specified information is source code of some sort. for the mainstream
browers, this means that the text in the tag get printed in a mono-spaced
font. <script> on the other hand is code that the browser is supposed to
execute, if it can. i believe that the original intent of the snippet
originally posted was to make scamper intelligent enough to make it easy to
evaluate smalltalk code that was specified in the html as code. this is not
the same as scripting; this is just letting the user "do it" (in time
honored Smalltalk fashion) without cutting and pasting to a workspace.

dave

ps:
speaking of scripting--is there some way to hook the perl parser/compiler
such that i could massage errors into html? currently if a perl script i've
written to dynamically generate html has any kind of error, the error text
gets gobbled by the server and the server returns a different error that
just says that the script misbehaved. i was thinking that surely there was
something somewhere in perl that i could hook that would let me wrap stdout
so i could generate an html page that notified me of the error. ideas?

thanks!

--
        j. david farber
    oo architect+mentor