Bug Involving Modified #to:by:do:

R. A. Harmon harmonra at webname.com
Sun Jan 31 12:54:50 UTC 1999

At 08:13 PM 1/30/99 -0600, you wrote:
>>I also need to change "something" to handle my implementation of
>>ScaledDecimal step or by parameters.  The following snippet shows an example
>>of the odd results currently produced:
>>
>>        | x | x := OrderedCollection new.
>>        (1/2) to: 5.5s2 by: 2.0 do: [ :n | x add: n]. ^x asArray
>>                "-> ((1/2) + 2.5 4.5 )"
>>
>>The Interval elements should all be Float as the default conversion of
>>Fraction operation Float is Float.
>
>I'm not sure why you say they should all be Float.  The starting value of
>the to:by:do: is the initial value.  No operation is performed upon it,
>so there is no chance for it to be converted to some other Number class.
[snip]

My interpretation of the following from the proposed ANSI standard document
is that they should all be converted.  I'd better confirm this is correct.

5.6.2.39 Message: to: stop by: step do: operation
.. . .
Definition: <number>
.. . .
The elements must all conform to either the receiver's or step's protocol,
according to the Default Conversion Table.
.. . .

--
Richard A. Harmon          "The only good zombie is a dead zombie"
harmonra at webname.com           E. G. McCarthy