Squeak on a 16Bit PDA?

johnm at wdi.disney.com johnm at wdi.disney.com
Sun Jan 10 23:21:31 UTC 1999

Karsten Aalders <k_aalders at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am working on a PDA project.
> I am looking for a OS to use and Squeak may be a solution for that.
> The platform it should run on contains a 16bit/16MHz CPU (4mips), 2MB
> FPROM,
> 8MB RAM and a 320x200x1 B/W display (no gray-scale).
> The OS I use is WinNT/95. I have a ANSI-C compiler and a assembler for
> the platform.
> Can you give me some hints, if it is a good idea to portate squeak to
> my platform?
> I am not sure if there is enough performance, memory and man-power.

The ease of porting Squeak to a PDA depends mostly on whether you are
doing a port to some OS, such as WinCE, or to the bare hardware. In the
former case, it may be merely a matter of recompiling Andreas's Win32
port for the target processor. If the latter case, you'll need to
implement display and mouse input drivers initially, then add support
for additional things like sound, serial ports, IR, a file system, etc.
Squeak was ported to a Mitsubishi processor with no OS in about six weeks,
which included building a sound output driver and a Flash RAM file system.
Your biggest hurdle may be getting enough information about the
hardware to write the device drivers.

I think you'll have sufficient RAM for Squeak, but I doubt that you'll
get enough performance to be interesting...

Which PDA are you thinking of?

	-- John