R.I.P. Byte

Jan Bottorff janb at pmatrix.com
Fri Jan 22 17:47:17 UTC 1999

At 11:40 PM 1/21/99 -0800, David LeBlanc wrote:
>I'm wondering what critical system libraries us Windows programmers are
>free to overwrite when installing new software on Windows?
>
>Aside from the language libraries (i.e. msvcrtNN.dll), the equivilent of
>which ARE also updated with fair regularity on Linux (every time a new gcc
>comes out pretty much - and I keep hearing tales about some version of gcc
>being good or bad to compile Linux in), i'm not aware of any vender
>shipping a modified version of, for instance, win32.dll, user32.dll,
>kernel32.dll, gdi32.dll etc.

Let's see, how about CTL3D32.DLL, COMCTL32.dll, MFCxx.DLL, OLEAUT32.DLL,
and OLEPRO32.DLL. These are all listed in the MSDN documentation as
developer redistributables. If we include files updated by things like
Internet Explorer, the list grows, and includes important ones like
crypt32.dll and the Java VM (a couple of versions). This is an incomplete
list.

I've seen incompatable versions of these bring down apps, over and over.

As Microsoft has claimed in their trial, ALL this stuff is part of the OS.

I'm also not sure Linux is immune to this problem.

- Jan
            Paradigm Matrix Inc., San Ramon California
   "video products and development services for Win32 platforms"
Internet: Jan Bottorff janb at pmatrix.com
          WWW          http://www.pmatrix.com
Phone: voice  (925) 803-9318
       fax    (925) 803-9397
PGP: public key  <http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bal/pks-toplev.html>
     fingerprint  52 CB FF 60 91 25 F9 44  6F 87 23 C9 AB 5D 05 F6