2.3, Unix, and Squeak central

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jan 27 17:49:45 UTC 1999

Bill Cattey <wdc at MIT.EDU> wrote:
> I've got the 2.3 image and changes file, and I'm running them on my
> Solaris and Linux systems in the 2.3beta image I got from inria.  I've
> noticed that sometimes morphic projects get VERRRRRY slow, and the
Play
> With Me 3 (16 bits) demo project, when entered hangs the VM and ALT<.>
> can't interrupt.
>
> I figure these may be due to little improvements in 2.3VM that aren't
in
> the Beta VM.  Alas, the 2.3VM has not yet been made available for the
> Unix platforms.  Is this expected to happen soon, or should I attempt
> reproduce the work of Carl Gruden?

I haven't gotten Play With Me 3 to work, either.  However, I haven't
seen the slowdowns you mention.

One person posted they  got a 2.3 VM compiled by:

	a) generating interp.c from Squeak as normal (comment in
CCodeGenerator)
	b) skipping the translation for GCC that the Unix Makefile normally
does.  For instance, change "../util/translator" to "/bin/cat" in the
makefile.

I tried this, and it worked fine....  The only problem is that the VM
doesn't contain the truetype code anywhere.  Is this in the image
somewhere that it can be filed out, or is it platform-specific code that
someone the likes of Ian Piumatra will have to write?

Lex