Squeak networking

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Jul 18 20:07:22 UTC 1999

Bob Arning <arning at charm.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jul 1999 20:54:53 +0000 (GMT) "Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> >The real killer still seems to be implementing the new server-socket semantics on Macs.  For reference, the new functions needed are the following:
> >
> >	newListenOn:port  --  new version of starting a server socket  (needs a better name....)
> >	newConnection -- return a newly connected socket, and leave the original to listen for more new connections
> >	waitForConnectionUntil: -- already present, but would need to be updated to deal with the new kind of socket.
> >

> >Can anyone *demonstrate* how to do this stuff on Macs?  People keep posting that "oh there's several Mac sockets libraries" or "I could do this on a Mac, easily".  Well, do it already :)  At  the least, if someone has he knowhow but not the resources, mail the list or SC more specifically about how it *could* be done.  Many people would be quite thankful :)
> >
> >Once Macs have the needed support, the rest of the pieces should follow like an avalanche.
>
> Lex,
>
> Having a little time on my hands, I thought this would be fun to look at, but I'm not quite sure of the context. Is this in reference to Craig Latta's correspondent stuff or something else? Is it something that already runs on a platform other than Mac?

I think Craig Latta's stuff is orthogonal, except that they both fall under the category of network improvements.  Craig's stuff, though, can be filed into individual images--in fact people are already happily using it.  The new networking primitives, on the other hand, require coordination of all the VM porters if they are to be consistent across platforms.

To be very specific about the change that is desired, it is to have a primitive which accepts a connection on a listening socket, but which does not close the original socket.  Thus, it can keep listening for more connections, and it can furthermore maintain a queue of connections for times when requests are coming in too quickly to immediately reply to.

Anyway, this topic has come up before, and I was just reminding everyone of the most recent status report that has come down from SC (and this was months ago): server sockets should certainly be changed to use the semantics of BSD sockets, but that it seemed to be harder than you'd expect on Macs....

Lex