Who wants full block closures and why?

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Fri Jul 16 04:08:40 UTC 1999

At 7:29 PM -0400 7/15/99, Craig Latta wrote:

>	I'm compiling a summary for spec/documentation purposes. (I also intend
>to implement them :)

Me me me me! I want them!

Four main reasons:

1)	To make implementing certain languages on top of Squeak easier (e.g.,
lispy languages).
2)	Several nifty goodies/packages would be *much* easier to port with them
(e.g., T-Gen, regexs, etc.)
3)	Right now the behavior of blocks is annoyingly counter-intuitive in
several circumstances.
4)	There are times, on this green earth, when we all have the compelling
urge to use a closure. Lesser languages frustrate this urge, causing all
*sorts* of aberrant behavior (more than 5 temporary variables in a method,
function pointers, Java enabled pencil sharpeners, etc.)

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.