Simple Parser for Natural Language?

Bob Ingria ingria at world.std.com
Sun Jul 25 21:00:46 UTC 1999

At 01:49 PM 7/16/99 -0400, Mark Guzdial wrote:
>I also found a natural language parser at
>http://www-cgi.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/ai-repository/ai/areas/nlp/misc/alvey/0.html but it requires paying a licensing fee for a decryption key.

That must be the Alvey Tools, which was a set of NL programs developed in Britain the mid/late '80's by a consortium of universities and industrial partners.  Presumably the licensing fee is to help reimburse them for the development costs.  I think this is just a parser, not a full interpreter, but I'd have to double check.

The Alvey tools were basically implementations of GPSG (Generalized Phrase Structure Grammar; see the book by Gazdar et al for full details).  I get the impression they were fine tools, but linguistic formalisms have moved on from GPSG so I'm not sure if they're of more than historic interest at present.

-30-
Bob Ingria
As always, at a slight angle to the universe