newbie question

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Mon Jul 12 16:49:09 UTC 1999

Ken> Maybe if I knew ST as well as I'd like, I would have known which
Ken> non-queer methods to use and not have needed to ask. I didn't
Ken> find any that did exactly what I wanted, so I started some of my
Ken> own. I have heard that the best way to learn ST is to just jump
Ken> in and start coding. How long should I refrain from creating my
Ken> own methods?

You can create your own methods, but as a beginner, you should think
LONG and HARD before adding methods to any of the existing system
classes.  In fact, the Squeak license requires any such method to be
put up on a public webserver or submitted to the Squeak team for
inclusion in a future release.

Consider this - most of those classes have been around for 20 years
now.  Do you really think you have thought of something unique to do
to an Array that hadn't been done in the prior 20 years? :)

Email: <merlyn at stonehenge.com> Snail: (Call) PGP-Key: (finger merlyn at teleport.com)
Web: <A HREF="http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/">My Home Page!</A>
Quote: "I'm telling you, if I could have five lines in my .sig, I would!" -- me