Fwd: Quesa 0.0.2

Lawson English english at primenet.com
Wed Jul 28 14:57:37 UTC 1999

Raab, Andreas <Andreas.Raab at disney.com>

>In fact, if you look closely at
>Squeak-Alice then you'll notice that Squeak-Alice *is* a retained mode
>framework - and a pretty good one at this because it allows you to script
>arbitrary objects in the 3D world. That it is currently not at the same
>speed as other retained mode frameworks has nothing at all to do with
>Squeak-Alice. It is the immediate mode stuff which drops us in the
>framerate
>- everything in Squeak is currently run from software only, there is no
>hardware accelleration at all.

Hmmm...

What is the overhead of the retained-mode portion? My impression is that
once you DO get hardware acceleration support, the fact that the
retained-mode database is interpreted WILL be noticeable. In fact, I
suspect that it already is noticeable in some cases.

Lawson English. Squeak, snore, etc.
Check out <http://www.squeak.org>