Squeak's license (uh-oh...)

Chris Reuter cgreuter at calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Jul 15 02:54:18 UTC 1999

On Tue, Jul 13, 1999 at 01:17:06PM -0700, Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi--
>

> Now that the Open Source Initiative has a fairly concrete license
>certification process (http://opensource.org/certification-mark.html),
>I think it would be useful* to either get Squeak's license approved or
>change it to one which has already gained approval (e.g., the GPL).

I agree.  However, the GPL (or even the LGPL) isn't really suited to
Squeak development because it doesn't provide a way to distribute apps
written in Squeak under another license except as a fileIn, which is
IMHO too strict.

Perhaps a GPL derivative allowing standalone apps is in order.  It
would be really nice if such a license could also apply to
applications written in Squeak.  That way, we can all release our
various goodies under the same license, disambiguating the whole legal
issue.

				--Chris