unused message

Scott.Wallace at disney.com Scott.Wallace at disney.com
Fri Jul 2 21:05:27 UTC 1999

Montgomery,

(1)  It would be very surprising if the parser thought the temp is unused whereas in fact it is is used.  Check that your "use" of it isn't commented out.   And check that you actually *use* the variable rather than just put some value into it and then never refer to it.  If you're convinced that you're really making use of a temp and yet the parser is not seeing it, please file out the method and enclose it in a message, and we'll get to the bottom of this soon enough.

(2)  And, in answer to your explicit query, yes, it would be very easy to turn off that "blah appears to be unused in this..." message if you really wanted to.  Open a workspace, type in some characteristic fragment of the message you're unhappy about, such as "unused in this method", select it, and hit cmd-shift-E (or choose "method strings with it"), and you'll get a browser that zeros you right in on the method that is putting up the message.

This turns out to be Parser.removeUnusedTemps.  A little surgery on that method will allow you to avoid putting up the "...okay to remove it?" dialog, and to proceed merrily.  If it's not obvious how to do that, please holler.  (Perhaps privately to me rather than to the entire list.)

Hope this helps.

   -- Scott