Working Together (was: re: newbie question (...)) [LONG]

Russell Allen russell.allen at firebirdmedia.com
Wed Jul 14 08:54:01 UTC 1999

>At 3:41 AM -0400 7/14/99, Peter Smet wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>>If its' utter garbage and crashes the image, then it wont last a day. People
>>will just remove the code.
>
>Well, removing code tends to be a touch more difficult than adding.

Is there a way to import code into Squeak, then remove it again?  How do
you roll back an entire changeset?

>(I'll just add that I have qualms about the Cathedral/Bazaar analysis, and,
>in particular, I think the "with enough eyes, all bugs are shallow" to be
>patantly false. Given *these* assumptions, I'm afraid I'm not as sanguine
>that your proposed changes will result in a worthwhile leap in
>productivity.)

I'm pretty new to this sort of thing, and haven't had the experience in
large scale software that some of the gurus on this list have had (I'd just
like to thank the people on this list for the free CompSci course :)

However, instinctively I am drawn towards the earlier suggestion of
quasi-official projects, which create code which is put in the main image
by Squeak Central.  PWS is the first example, Celeste email, web browser
etc.  A stuctured approach is surely better then an unstructured Bazaar?

The "Projects" page on the swiki is an excellent unofficial start on this
sort of thing, however even on the centralised swiki code is broken up into
(seemingly random) categories like "Projects", "Packages", "Goodies" and
"Tools"...

This would mean that if (for eg) I wanted to add code to the email reader
so that it handled attachments properly, I could submit it to the Celeste
project, rather then sending it out into the ether marked "[Enh]" and never
hearing about it again.  It would also mean that Dan wouldn't have to wade
through my badly implemented code :)

By the way, shipping Squeak with everything included (the "kitchen sink
image") was one of the things which I found attractive from the beginning;
sorta like getting a free copy of MS-Office with Win-98 :)

cheers,

Russell

>Cheers,
>Bijan Parsia.