Working Together (was: re: newbie question (...)) [LONG]

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Sat Jul 17 13:37:39 UTC 1999

Dan,

4.  Regarding the larger projects that Squeak needs but that we are not
controlling, I want to try a new approach.  A couple of people have suggested
voting.  I'm not really in favor of this and, what's more, it doesn't address
the real problem.  My proposal is that we identify a list of such projects (we
have a start already) and then, for each one, identify a group of 3 to 5
competent people to carry it through to completion.  I'm going to suggest that
one of these people be from Squeak Central, even if they don't actually do any
coding.  This will ensure that any concerns we have will get addressed, that
we can track the progress, and that whoever is doing the hard work will know
there is buy-in at Squeak Central from the start.  As used above, "to
completion" means that it's ready to be issued as an update to the test pilots.

This seems like a great idea, addressing both your main concerns and ours
(mine, anyway). Having this mode of work, and since you've asked whether there
are other projects we see as belonging in that category, I'd like to ask how
you see MorphicWrapper.

I think it's an interesting, somewhat blue-plane move which could integrate
very well with Morphic - they both seem to aspire to make graphical objects
less specialized and less "special". This is at the idea level - AFAIK it is
far from polished and integration is not nearly done.

Is this project something that you'd like to see grow up and join the main
stream Squeak, or does it just not fit with your vision of Squeak, or what
otherwise that I've not thought of?

I'm writing as a once-enthused contributor to it, not it's instigator, BTW.
One reason I didn't pursue it was being in the dark in this matter (partly
because I didn't try hard enough to find out).

However, I think it's important to recognize that not everything other people
are interested in is going to be something you want to put even in the
chock-full category image, so it is important we find a solution that'll
support people getting other packages and updates to them as easily (or
almost) as we get the ones from Squeak Central.

This is a project that a number of people seem to be pursuing in the
Version/Goodie managment threads, and it could probably use Squeak Central
representation as your suggestion above.

In other words, you're the best color, canvas and brush makers we know of, but
we need a gallery we can have the keys to. Or gallery section, anyway.

Daniel