[ENH] OS-level events

Peter William Lount peter at smalltalk.org
Thu Jul 1 18:03:23 UTC 1999

Hi Lex,

What replaces the controller loops in Morphic?

Peter

----------
From: Lex Spoon <lex at cc.gatech.edu>
To: squeak at cs.uiuc.edu
Subject: Re: [ENH] OS-level events
Date: July 1, 1999 10:29 AM

"Peter William Lount" <peter at smalltalk.org> wrote:
> One of my questions is "what will happen to the Controller loop" with an
> event based Smalltalk"? I guess that it goes away and gets replaced by
> something like the NSApplication loop. I'll have to explore some event
> based Smalltalks to find out... What are you guys planning to do with the
> controller loops?

In Morphic, they're actually already gone.  That's why you can scroll a
text pane and have your BouncingAtomsMorph keep bouncing around while you
do it.  Of course, the logic for menus and for text highlighting and things
like that, which take a long time to execute, are made more complicated
because they have to store intermediate states in instance variables--the
extra interactivity is not for free.

Lex