[newbie] Dandelion 0.3 problems?

squeaker squeaker at dangerous-minds.com
Wed Jul 21 04:20:45 UTC 1999

I just downloaded and installed Dandelion 0.3 on Squeak 2.4d (all latest
updates, AFAIK).

When I try to run Example1, I get a "Subscript is out of bounds" error with
the following traceback:

  String(Object)>>error:
  String(Object)>>errorSubscriptBounds:
  String(Object)>>at:
  String>>at:
  String>>at:
  String>>findSubstring:in:startingAt:matchTable:
  String>>findString:startingAt:
  Text>>findString:startingAt:
  [] in DlDynamicVariableIntrospector>>canInstantiate:by:
  [] in Array(Collection)>>detect:ifNone:

When I try to run Example2, I get the dialog box and then "Message not
understood: width", with the following traceback:

  UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
  [] in String>>displayProgressAt:from:to:during:
  DlProgressBarIndicator>>update:
  DlEvent>>handledBy:
  [] in DlEvent>>notifyAllListeners
  [] in Set>>do:
  Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
  Set>>do:
  DlEvent>>notifyAllListeners
  DlEvent>>fire:

The offending line of code appears to be this:

  w _ ((barFrame width-4) asFloat * ((barVal-minVal) asFloat / range min:
1.0)) asInteger.

in

  displayProgressAt: aPoint from: minVal to: maxVal during: workBlock

I also get the "width error" in the remaining examples.

After applying patch1 and patch2, I skipped the subscript error in
Example1, but then it died with the now infamous "width error."  Example2
died with the subscript error.  The remaining examples bombed out with
"width error."

Is there some further initialization I need to do or is this a problem with
the Dandelion code or, perhaps, changes that have been made to Squeak since
the last Dandelion version was published?  Has anyone either had similar
failures or gotten Dandelion to work properly?

I'd like to get this to work; it looks like a great tool and I really need
to make a nice documentation package for a tutorial class I plan to present
on Friday.

Blessings!

John Tobler
cyberjet at cheerful.com

| John, squeaker at dangerous-minds.com      Squeak?  http://www.squeak.org/ |
| Some minds are dangerous because they're sharp and pointed; others,     |
| because they're heavy and dull; mine, because I know enough to get into |
| trouble but not necessarily out.                                        |