[SqT] Why so many Processes in my Squeak2.5test image?

Mark A. Schwenk mas at wellthot.com
Thu Jul 29 02:48:26 UTC 1999

"Mark A. Schwenk" wrote:

> Dan Ingalls wrote:
> >
> > Mark -
> >
> > allInstances will find instances that are no longer in use.  Whenever you really care about enumerating active instances, precede your code by a garbage collection.  In other words, you should evaluate
> >
> >         Smalltalk garbageCollect.  Process allInstances inspect
> >
> > Hope this helps
> >
> >         - Dan
>
> Thanks for the quick response. Actually I had garbage collected and I still see lots of zombies. Is it just me or is something broken? Following is a list or my processes.
> -Mark Schwenk
>  WellThot Inc.

I went back to a clean image and found six processes. I also found that my Utilities>process enhancement was susceptible to showing garbage processes since the utility did not include a direct call to Smalltalk garbageCollect just before iterating over the process instances.

Sorry for the false alarm!
-Mark Schwenk